Dapper on a PowerBook G3?

Harold Johnson harold.johnson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 19:01:22 UTC 2006

Has anyone here made an installation of Dapper on a PowerBook G3 yet?  I'm
in the process of installing Dapper on my Wallstreet (that's the model of
PowerBook G3); I've had Hoary, Warty, and Breezy previously installed on
this system.

I ran into a bit of trouble earlier today, but it looks to be minor.
Anyway, I'll try again later and see how well I manage to get over this
hurdle.  Installing Ubuntu (or any flavor of Linux) on a Wallstreet requires
some amount of trickery, perhaps more than your usual installation.  For one
thing, you need to partition your drive to allow your PowerBook to boot into
the Mac OS, where it finds the Linux kernel and then proceeds to boot into
Ubuntu.  The trick is getting your Linux kernel copied onto your
Mac partition during your installation; there are various ways of doing
this, but the method I tried this morning didn't work.  (I tried following
some instructions I found on a website regarding installing Breezy on a
Wallstreet, but the process of mounting the Mac partition from the
command-line and copying the Linux kernel to it failed.)

I'm looking forward to hearing any success stories; I will gladly post
details once I find my own (success)!

Sincerely,
Harold J. Johnson
http://somethingthathappened.com