sudo and timestamp

ubuntu at rio.vg ubuntu at rio.vg
Sat Jun 3 15:54:04 UTC 2006

Florian Diesch wrote:
> ubuntu at rio.vg wrote:
>
>> I installed Ubuntu on my laptop today, and at one point the clock on it
>> got severely off by about three hours into the future.  No big deal
>> normally, this sort of things happens to my laptop sometimes, ntp fixes it.
>>
>> However, now there's a problem.  I can't run sudo.
>>
>> "sudo: timestamp too far in the future: Jun  2 17:22:11 2006"
>
> Here (6.06) sudo complains about it and then ask for the password

In my case, it complained and prevented sudo from running.

>> Does this mean that Ubuntu will prevent me from doing any configuration
>> on my laptop for the next hour and a half?
>
> sudo -K kills the timestamp

That didn't work.  I believe that is used to reset when it will ask for
a password.

Marius Gedminas wrote:
 > I've seen this message a few times, after reseting my system clock
 > backwards a bit.  It seems to be just a harmless warning -- it never
 > prevented me from using sudo.

I believe that if you set the clock back more than a certain amount of
time, in my case, it was something like 3 hours (I don't recall
exactly), sudo will simply not work.

Rebooting the machine fixed it, but that's really a microsoft solution.
  I've added a password for root, so now I can use either sudo or full
su, depending on what I'm doing, which is much more convenient.