VMware-VMplayer - creating the vmmon kernel module

Adam D emlists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 22:28:49 UTC 2006

Matthew Nicholson wrote:
> if your on dapper, vmware-player is in the repos, universe i think.
> Adam D wrote:

Ahhh, yes the only address markings in /etc/apt/sources are the standard commented and uncommented from the install of Dapper.  I have back-port and universe/multiverse enabled in the same line but the only vmware I find is one for xorg driver but no other kernel modules or the like.  Am I missing an extra address?

-adam

>> I have been trying to install the VMplayer for the past day and have
>> been coming up with some road blocks. To start off with, I have
>> downloaded the proper files (vmplayer) from
>> http://www.vmware.com/download/player/ and PDF files.  I  have
>> followed the instructions
>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VMwarePlayerAndQemu) and every time I do I
>> get vmmon modules compile errors (see below).
>>

>> System:    AMD64 3200+ (Abit KN8 SLI Motherboard)
>> Linux:    Ubuntu dapper 6.06
>> Kernel:    Self compiled using 2.6.16.14 vanilla (no kernel-headers)
>>     /usr/include/linux points to /usr/src/linux/include/linux
>> gcc:    gcc-3.4 (kernel was compiled using 4.0.3)
>>
>> ERRORS:    warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not defined
>>     warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
>>
>> Source of Info: vmware.com, wiki.ubuntu.com/VMwarePlayerAndQemu,
>> wiki.ubuntu.com/KQEmu and some other misc.

<snip>