GUI Not Working Correctly

Andy Collins andycollins35 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 22:03:25 UTC 2006

Bill Marcum wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:39:09 +0100, Andy Collins
>   <andycollins35 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded the rc version of dapper (by mistake) and when i put
>> it in and reboot, X doesn't seem to be configured right. I get a
>> "multicoloured" screen, squares that i cannot do anything with (if i hit
>> alt+ctrl+backspace ubuntu seems to try and take me back to the GUI, in
>> which i get the same result). Anyone know how i can fix this?
>>

> Press ctrl-alt-F1, log in and do
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Thanks. I tried this, but i am having no luck getting it right. Now,
when i get to the GUI, i hear the sound, but it's a sequence of black
and white squares on the screen. I have an nvidia geforce 6800gs, and a
17" lcd that does 1280x1024 at 60hz. I tried installing nvida-glx but that
didn't help at all. Anyone have any idea as to how i should try
configuring xorg?

Thanks
Andy