screen resolution

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 18:01:56 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Nikolai <psalmos at swissinfo.org> wrote:

> I just installed Ubuntu Dapper Drake and am enjoying it. I must say I
> was amazed at how easy and quick the installation went but as I'm now
> trying to configure the system to my liking and needs, some questions
> arise. I'm hoping to receive some valuable advice here but I'll take it
> one step at the time.
>
> Screen resolution - as the installation was complete, it defaulted to
> 1600x1200 and even though I wouldn't mind running my system at the
> resolution that high, I would rather prefer to have it at 1280x1024
> instead. I went to System->Preferences->Screen Resolution and changed it
> to 1280x1024, the screen went black, then I was sent to login screen
> (lost an unsaved document in the meantime), logged in, the resolution is
> back to 1600x1200. Tried a couple of times more, same thing. Any ideas
> what's going on?
>
> My video card is Radeon X1600 Pro with 256mb, I looked at xorg.config
> and under "Device" section I have:
>
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. ATI Default Card"
>        Driver          "vesa"
>        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>

> I'm guessing perhaps I should install the ATI driver for it seems like
> at the moment I'm using a generic driver, no? I was intending to do that
> anyway but in the meantime, before I gather info on how actually do
> that, can this little annoyance be fixed some other way?
>
> Thanks,
> Nikolai

Hi Nikolai!

I would:

1. Cause a crash as mentioned above.

2. At the log in screen log in and navigate to /var/log.

3. Copy Xorg.0.log to your home directory or Desktop (example: cp
/var/log/Xorg.0.log /home/mydirectory/Desktop).

4. While there, do a "tail messages" and maybe "tail debug" just for fun.

5. Reboot, look at the Xorg.0.log in your Desktop directory.  You will
probably find some errors (EE) near the end.   Google the errors.

My guess is that your display device (monitor or flat panel) is not happy
with it's settings at the resolution you requested.

Good Hunting!

Tod