Does Ubuntu need a "Getting Started" page?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Jul 31 04:12:09 UTC 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 23:43, Carthik Sharma wrote:
> On 7/29/06, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 July 2006 20:47, John Richard Moser wrote:
> > > Any comments?  Good idea, bad idea, stupid idea?
> >
> > Instead of filing a bug and arguing about it, why not write the page and
> > then start pointing people at it for comment input?
> >
> > That will likely get you more progress.
>
> Scott,
> Please excuse my butting in, but what do you bring to the
> conversation, or what do you do that helps the user that asked the
> question? :)

The OP was unsure how to proceed.  In my experience with open source projects,
doing something (even if it is incomplete or not that well done) and
expressing through action a willingness to invest effort toward accomplishing
the stated goal is more likely to get an actual problem solved than just
asking other people to do something.

So, what I thought I was doing was pointing him in the direction that would
most likely achieve his goal.

> I suppose we could all be a little more considerate, respectful and
> collaborative. The original poster, John, was probably unsure of the
> best way to proceed which caused him to float the question. Let each
> contribute according to his might. Why should we take on the difficult
> task of defining how best to help?

Well, the OP asked for comments and I gave him a comment on how I thought he
would be most likely to achieve his goal.

If not you defining how best you can help, who?

It may have appeared to you that I was trying to shoot him down.  That
certainly wasn't my intent.

Scott K