cron.daily is not running ???

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 22:56:29 UTC 2006

Things to try:

$> cat /etc/crontab
# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
# Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
# command to install the new version when you edit this file.
# This file also has a username field, that none of the other crontabs do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h dom mon dow user  command
17 *    * * *   root    run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6    * * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts
--report /etc/cron.daily
47 6    * * 7   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts
--report /etc/cron.weekly
52 6    1 * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts
--report /etc/cron.monthly
#

ls -l /etc/cron.daily

should show files whose name is in the form: [a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9\-\_]*
and whose executable bit is set! very important.

In other words, they start with a letter (lower or upper case)
followed by more letters and numbers, dashes or underscores... no dots
(.) in their names and other things that is not allowed by LSB... (I
can't recall the full list now but to be safe, use names that follow
that regex).

Hope that helps