Newer Linux (that is, kernel)

Pupeno pupeno at pupeno.com
Sat Jul 29 08:55:59 UTC 2006

On Friday 28 July 2006 21:04, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:33:39 +0000
>
> Pupeno <pupeno at pupeno.com> wrote:
> > I need, due to new hardware, a new Linux (that is, the kernel, Linux
> > is a kernel). What path do you recommend me to get it ? I see the
> > following:
> >
> > * Download the sources from Edgy repositories (.dsp and others) and
> > re-build. I tried it, rebuilding worked, trying to install required a
> > module-init-tools newer that what I have, would it be safe to just
> > change that dependency on the control file and re-build ?
> >
> > * Download sources from Ubuntu using git. This seems living too in
> > the edge, isn't it ? it seems for people actively working on the
> > packages of Linux, I don't plan to do that.
> >
> > * Download vanilla (mainstream) Linux and recompile, and here I have
> > a couple of choices. How:
> >   - using good old make and install
> >   - using make-kpkg, I tried this one
> >  or with what config:
> >   - using Ubuntu Daper config and running make-kpkg
> > --config=oldconfig, I tried this one.
> >   - using Ubuntu Edgy congig
> > The vanilla kernel I built hangs when booting, I am not sure why or
> > doing what. Depressing.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> You didn't mention the error message, if any, when it stops booting
> but  a guess here would be... did you run 'mkinitrd' to create a
> initrd.img?  Look in /boot/grub/menu.lst' to see if there is a line
> for the initrd in each stanza for each kernel.

More details:

When booting the new kernel in recovery mode I see the following:
udevd-event[1574]: wait_for_sysfs: waiting
for '/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/serio2/bus' failed.
Done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0e, buttons: 3/3
input: TPPS/2 IBM TracPoint as /class/input/input2
Done

After two or three minutes or even more:

Alert! /dev/sda does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.01...

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

And note, when booting up the normal Ubuntu Linux (kernel) I get a very long
way to mount the root file system; similar to the very long wait I've got
until failure here.

At any rate, I was not really interested in this particular problem but a hint
in what of the methods to get a new kernel would you recommend.
Thank you.

--
Pupeno <pupeno at pupeno.com> (http://pupeno.com)