How can I just turn off the screensaver and auto-suspend?

Michael V. De Palatis mvd at gatech.edu
Fri Jul 28 18:21:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 02:16:23AM +0800, Atrus Qiao wrote:
> Thanks a lot. It's xscreensaver exactly, and I think this could be the only
> way. When I try to uninstall xscreensaver, it tells me that I have to
> uninstall xubuntu-desktop as well! It seems xubuntu-desktop depends on
> xscreensaver...

xubuntu-desktop is "just a metapackage." What that means is that
xubuntu-desktop itself doesn't actually contain anything, but depends
on a lot of things that come with the standard Xubuntu setup (hence,
if you install xubuntu-desktop, it will grab everything needed). Once
you've installed, you can remove it if you want with no ill effects.

However, I personally feel better just leaving xscreensaver installed,
even if you are only going to just have it blank the screen rather
than display a "real" screensaver.

Mike