Ubuntu Dapper (6.06) Install fails on cdrom open, kernel panic -- please help

Alain -- ubuntu at asoundmove.net
Wed Jul 26 11:58:33 UTC 2006

From/De [David Woyciesjes]
On/Le [2006/07/25 16:53]
> Alain -- wrote:
<...>
>> History:
<...>
>>   - Original HD: 6GB, made secondary drive when
>>     I got my 20GB HD. No O/S on this HD
>>   - 20GB HD, crashed and unusable due power failure
>>     (I know, I should have had a UPS, but)
>>   - Ran Win98 till event above (original O/S was Win95)
>>   - Bought replacement HD (no O/S)
>>   - I struggled to get the BIOS to see both HD, but
>>     eventually it did see them both (new 20GB and old 6GB)
>>     Jumper settings one to Cable Select, the Other to Slave.
>>     It seems no other jumper setting works, though I must
>>     not have tried all combinations.
>
>     You may have stumbled upon this already, but for the benefit of
> others...
I had not :-)

>     The one thing that pops out to me is your notes on HDD settings...
Yes...

>     I'm not sure if a machine as old as yours supports Cable Select. It
> might, the manual for it should say for sure.
>     Either way, if you do use Cable Select, both HDDs on the same IDE
> cable must have their jumpers set to CS. Then the HDD on the last
> connector (on the Primary IDE cable) becomes hd0, and the one on the
> middle connector becomes hd1.
>     If the machine doesn't support CS, then you want to set the jumpers
> on one drive to Master, and Slave on the other. Then it doesn't matter
> which connector the drive is connected to.
>     Personally, on that machine, I would use the Master/Slave settings.
>     If you don't need the 6GB drive, I would not even bother having it
> in the computer. I would just have the 20GB on the primary IDE, and the
> CD on the secondary IDE. If you do need both drives, then I would put
> the 20GB as master in primary IDE, CD as slave on primary IDE, and 6GB
> drive as master on the secondary IDE

I did not see why this should have any effect at this point in the
process as I was not even trying to use the disks.

_However_ your suggestions about the CD drive prompted me to question my
set-up. In fact I have two CD drives on my secondary IDE. I was using
the slave. Having now placed the ubuntu CD-ROM in the master, I can boot
and get the system up and running (very slow, but I suppose that's the
name of the game).

I still got one of those messages 'cdrom: open failed', and I also got a
good few IDE error messages, but the Kernel did not crash in panic and I
have the ubuntu GUI with the Examples and Install icons on the desktop.
Currently going through the Install...
Will try this list again, undoubtedly, when I stumble across another tree.

Thanks a bunch to you and all those who suggested avenues to try, and
all those who resolved similar issues in the past.

Regards,
Alain.