Ubuntu Dapper (6.06) Install fails on cdrom open, kernel panic -- please help

David Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 25 16:53:45 UTC 2006

Alain -- wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> Environment:
>   - Gateway2000 Pentium Pro 200MHz
>   - 256 MB RAM (SIMMs)
>   - 2 IDE HDs
>   - this PC currently does not have an O/S installed.
>
> History:
>   - Original HD: 6GB, made secondary drive when
>     I got my 20GB HD. No O/S on this HD
>   - 20GB HD, crashed and unusable due power failure
>     (I know, I should have had a UPS, but)
>   - Ran Win98 till event above (original O/S was Win95)
>   - Bought replacement HD (no O/S)
>   - I struggled to get the BIOS to see both HD, but
>     eventually it did see them both (new 20GB and old 6GB)
>     Jumper settings one to Cable Select, the Other to Slave.
>     It seems no other jumper setting works, though I must
>     not have tried all combinations.

	You may have stumbled upon this already, but for the benefit of others...

	The one thing that pops out to me is your notes on HDD settings...
	I'm not sure if a machine as old as yours supports Cable Select. It
might, the manual for it should say for sure.
	Either way, if you do use Cable Select, both HDDs on the same IDE cable
must have their jumpers set to CS. Then the HDD on the last connector
(on the Primary IDE cable) becomes hd0, and the one on the middle
connector becomes hd1.
	If the machine doesn't support CS, then you want to set the jumpers on
one drive to Master, and Slave on the other. Then it doesn't matter
which connector the drive is connected to.
	Personally, on that machine, I would use the Master/Slave settings.
	If you don't need the 6GB drive, I would not even bother having it in
the computer. I would just have the 20GB on the primary IDE, and the CD
on the secondary IDE. If you do need both drives, then I would put the
20GB as master in primary IDE, CD as slave on primary IDE, and 6GB drive
as master on the secondary IDE

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818