dapper on a slow pc

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Jul 24 19:31:29 UTC 2006

Dimitri Mallis wrote:
> hi
>
> i am trying to install dapper on a P3, 500mhz, 128mb, 8gig hdd, sis
> 8mb graphics, sound blaster (old card), bt*** tv card (it is
> supported, i checked)
>
> i put the shipit cd in & it starts a normal install. then when it
> starts launching gnome, it takes for ever. eventually the screen
> blanks (as i guess it tries to load a screen saver). there are no
> icons on the screen at this point, not even the top & bottom panel
>
> there didnt seam to be a text based install in the boot menu. how can
> i get around this so i can install. i dont need to go into the live cd
> version. i just want to do a straight install

I use an old Dell  desktop PC which reports as PII 350MHz, with 384MB
ram, and a 120 GB HD that I use as a demo PC. It has 'doze, suse 10,
ubuntu, kubuntu, edubuntu, PCLinux OS, DSL, all multi boot. It is
rather slow, yes, but it does install ok. I had a slower PII 266,
which seemed much slower than the numbers suggested though.

Note of course that the loading of the live cd (Desktop live,install
etc) is entirely in ram, and it will probably be ok if you wait even
longer. And the CD drive may not be very fast either. However, once it
is installed, you are likely to have a very normal (if slow and
relaxed) PC.

How sure are you that it is not worth just waiting a longer time, and
then do a default install. I should mention that the manual install
(which I use for obvious reasons) can be confusing because of the long
delays in the installer processes with no progress indication at
certain occasions......... I found success when I decided to make lots
of cups of tea. :-)
--
ac