dapper upgrade no sound

Indra Polak indra at feeddex.nl
Sat Jul 22 08:38:51 UTC 2006

> No, but it does actually reveal the root issue of all this mess. Note
> the string printed next to the EFLAGS:
>
>> [4294695.976000] EFLAGS: 00010086   (2.6.12-9-386)
>
> Lo and behold, that is /not/ Dapper's kernel. By default Dapper's udev
> /requires/ Dapper's kernel. Boot into 2.6.15-26-386, and you will find
> that everything works properly without having to specify snd_emu10k1 in
> /etc/modules.

Now we're getting somewhere.

So udev requires the new kernel, but my upgrade forgot to arrange this for
me. Any idea why?

Maybe I already had another kernel than the default one for breezy, so the
upgrade did not dare
to mess with it. I maybe have recompiled my kernel trying to get a newer
sound card to work.

Or the command line upgrade procedure does not show you your options after
the upgrade.
I remember reading somewhere that upgrading using a graphic client gives you
more options.

I'll try to figure out how to boot into the new kernel and see if everything
is solved without my
fix.

> /usr/share/misc/pci.ids is irrelevant. The driver contains the pci id.

You mean it is in the source? What is the point of having this file then?
Can I remove it?
Or do we have two places where the same thing is/should be defined?

Thanks for all the help. I apologize for all my ignorant tries to understand
the situation, but its my nature not just to
complain but also try to solve something. I definitely learned something
from all this (for instance: after an upgrade
first look at your boot log if something goes wrong, but it was such a minor
inconvenience that I did not bother).

Best regards,

Indra Polak