Cannot connect to skype

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Fri Jul 21 18:58:19 UTC 2006

Me - Atlantic wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 00:33 +0100, Paul O'Malley wrote:
>>
>> Me - Atlantic wrote:
>>> I updated the apt-sources.list to include the repository for skype, and
>>> ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype.

Just as a matter of interest, which version of skype are you running?
Which version of Ubuntu?
6.06, 5.10 or something else?
>>> The install ran with no errors.

This has nothing to do with logging on.
>>> When I start skype from the command line, there are no errors.

Does this mean that it logs in this case, or it just does not report or
anything, something that skype is very poor at.
>>> When I start skype from either command line or from within gnome, I
>>> cannot login.  I'm sure the user and password are correct (I have 2
>>> systems running ubuntu 5.10, and the other system - a laptop - runs
>>> skype fine, although I installed skype without the repo update for that
>>> one).

If this is the case that you can't log in then perhaps the user name and
the password need to be checked. See the instructions below which
demonstrate below how to get this data from one of your other computers
and then you can check it.
>>> Has anyone else encountered this problem?
>>>

>> Most likely - You will have to request a new password.
>> The lost password part of their service will look after it.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Paul O'Malley
>>
> Paul~
> Please re-read the original post (above).  "I'm sure the user and
> password are correct...".  Why would I need 2 different skype accounts
> for 2 different machines?
"I'm sure" is not definitive, which is why I took that route.

Having it on more than one machine at a time does not appear to impact
its ability to log on, three times may be an issue, however I digress.

The password is not stored by skype in plain text, however all is not lost.
This is based on the assumption that you have the password saved in your
web browser on one of the other boxes:
To find your password for skype, (guessing firefox,) start firefox,
Choose from the menu:
	Edit -> Preferences
Choose the password tab.
Click on view passwords.

Or a similar set of instructions for your browser. (you get the idea)
Check that against what you are using on the other machine.

To get the username you can do this.
ls -al .Skype
your user name will be a directory named there in front of you.

If this does not resolve your problems and the computer has no issues
with other connectivity, I suggest you try logging into the skype site
from the laptop. This will tell you if it is just the program or the
user name password combination that is not working.

All this is bases on the assumption you are not running some firewall
rules that may block your access.

That is the best I can do with the information to hand.

WRT the beta software, it seems to function better on dapper than the
previous release.

Regards,
Paul