Battery died

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jul 20 18:47:16 UTC 2006

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

> OK, I recently bought a new computer and installed Dapper on it.  One of
> the things I thought would be really nice about dapper is that it allows
> one to set things up so that the laptop will automatically hibernate when
> the battery charge becomes critical.
>
> Unfortunately it didn't work.  I just lost quite a bit of work when my
> battery died.  Not only did the laptop not automatically hibernate, it
> didn't even give me a warning about the battery level.

I'm a Kubuntu user, so I don't know the exact method in Gnome.  I use
kpowersave (for which there is surely a gnome counterpart).  It doesn't
automatically save on battery events (!!!! I could at least get Corel Linux
to do a shutdown - there was no hibernation - on a battery event last
millenium), but you can get a notification on battery events, and then
configure that to run "powersave --suspend-to-disk"
--
derek