Installing grub bootloader on Ultrasparc T1

Srinivasan, Kamalavasan kamalavasan.srinivasan at intel.com
Thu Jul 20 18:21:06 UTC 2006

I am trying to install grub bootloader on T2000 (Ultrasparc T1) running
Ubuntu Linux. Currently Ubuntu is running from Silo. I want to change
the bootloader to Grub.

I downloaded grub-1.94 and ran make on the machine. It gave me the
following error:

gcc -melf64_sparc -nostdlib -Wl, -r, -d -o pre-fat.o fat_mod-fs_fat.o
/usr/bin/ld: --relax and -r may not be used together

I looked into the Makefile for commenting this out. I couldn't see find
this line.

I saw in the grub wiki that there were issues with Ultrasparc namely:

# Install on disk
# Grub emu
# Boot something
# Write a grub-install script to install grub and configure OF variables
properly. This will be different from PPC because Sparc has openpromfs
and is missing sysfs "devspec" links into the device tree.

Any words of wisdom or comments would greatly help.

Thanks,
Kamal