help with wn 32 codecs

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 01:00:39 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, John L Fjellstad <john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org> wrote:
> "Noah Dain" <noahdain at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Says who?  If you install a deb package, it should never go into
> >> /usr/local

agreed.

> > says the mplayer readme file.  Also, says my experience from some time
> > ago when codecs in/usr/lib/win32 stopped working, so I did some
> > reading.  Also, I'm not aware of any .deb containing the w32codecs.  I
> > just grab them from mplayer's site.
>
> You missed the part about the deb file.

the op never mentioned a package, deb or otherwise.  just said he
installed them.

  As to the w32codecs debian package:

> john at minerva:~$ apt-cache policy w32codecs
> w32codecs:
>   Installed: 20050412-0unofficialubuntu3
>   Candidate: 20050412-0unofficialubuntu3
>   Version table:
>  *** 20050412-0unofficialubuntu3 0
>         500 ftp://cipherfunk.org dapper/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> >From the Debian Policy Manual
>
> 9.1.2 Site-specific programs
>
> As mandated by the FHS, packages must not place any files in /usr/local,
> either by putting them in the file system archive to be unpacked by dpkg
> or by manipulating them in their maintainer scripts.
>
> If you are installing a deb package, it should never install anything
> into /usr/local
>
> --
> John L. Fjellstad
> web: http://www.fjellstad.org/          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

well, i have universe enabled, and have no w32codecs available.

$ apt-cache search w32
mingw32 - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) compiler
mingw32-binutils - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) binutils
mingw32-runtime - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) runtime

--
Noah Dain
"I don't want to make toys, I want to be a dentist!"