no "defrag" in Linux?

Henk Postma henkpm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 21:28:59 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Scott J. Henson <scotth at csee.wvu.edu> wrote:
> Ken N9VV wrote:
> > Hi, o.k. I understand, there is no manual "defrag" needed for ext3 file
> > systems? is there any utility that measures or displays how I am doing
> > with my file system?
>
> scotth at momo:~$ apt-cache search defrag

Please make sure you have a backup of your filesystem before you do
this. I seriously hosed my ext3 partition with this tool once. Defrag
reports working on ext2, and here I thought that ext3 was just ext2 +
journal. You may want to first remove the journal (thereby effectively
making your ext3 and ext2), do the defrag, than add the journal.
Journals can me modified, added etc with tune2fs, afaik.

Backups of a full partition can be made nice and easy with partimage.

hth, Henk Postma