no "defrag" in Linux?

Scott J. Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Tue Jul 18 22:12:34 UTC 2006

Ken N9VV wrote:
> Hi, o.k. I understand, there is no manual "defrag" needed for ext3 file
> systems? is there any utility that measures or displays how I am doing
> with my file system?

scotth at momo:~$ apt-cache search defrag
defrag - ext2, minix and xiafs filesystem defragmenter
libnids-dev - IP defragmentation TCP segment reassembly
library (development)
libnids1.20 - IP defragmentation TCP segment reassembly library
scotth at momo:~$ apt-cache show defrag
Package: defrag
Section: universe/admin
Installed-Size: 208
Maintainer: Goswin von Brederlow
<brederlo at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.73pjm1-7
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1), file
Filename: pool/universe/d/defrag/defrag_0.73pjm1-7_i386.deb
Size: 68272
MD5sum: e1984fc93ad227c42af057b4f593b2eb
  As a file system is used, data tends to become more and more
  scattered across the disk, degrading performance.  A disk
  defragmenter simply re-organises the data on the disk, so that
  individual files occupy a single sequential set of disk
blocks,
  and all the free space on the disk is collected together in a
  single region. This generally means that reading a whole file
  is faster, and disk accesses in general are more efficient.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu

For the purposes of this utility, ext2 == ext3.

--
Scott Henson
LCSEE Systems Staff