dapper upgrade no sound

Indra Polak indra at feeddex.nl
Wed Jul 19 13:41:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

I upgraded to dapper and think  I found the reason why my music is not
working anymore:

no S50alsa-utils in /etc/rcS.d/ !!

Also not in another /etc/rc[0-6].d/ script.

root at indra-ubuntu:/etc# find . -name *alsa-utils* -print
./init.d/alsa-utils
./rc0.d/K50alsa-utils
./rc6.d/K50alsa-utils
root at indra-ubuntu:/etc#

Ergo,

mixer settings are not restored at boot and no sound can be heard since
the default is....mute everything.

I forgot if I had alsaconf installed, but now its gone. I still have
alsactl and alsamixer though.
Its possible that by removing that alsaconf package these changes took
place, I do not know.

However: why does an upgrade remove (instead of replace) packages?

Maybe because: dependencies got broken and instead of also upgrading the
broken packages which are
included by default in the base, they are "left to the user" to install
after the upgrade.

This is not so user-friendly I must say.

Better would be:

when packages are removed because of broken dependencies,
present them to the user with the option to try to reinstall them after
the upgrade.

I had to reinstall (because the packages were gone):

eclipse
openoffice

I had to redefine some panel items etc.

Apart from these minor issues, upgrading was painless.

Regards,

Indra Polak