Postfix/Network config out of the box - was: Re: Please participate in the Ubuntu Popularity Contest !

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 16:28:56 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:

> I think this is going to come down to philosphy.  If you are on a dynamic IP,
> you are unlikely to get reliable mail delivery no matter what you do.  If you
> are on a dynamic IP, then you should use the provided relayhost option for
> Postfix installation and relay through your ISPs MTA.  For this use, getting
> a FQDN is not necessary.
>
> So, I find that the current setup produces an appropriate result.

I can't help but feel I'm being misunderstood.  My machine is on a
static public IP address.  I used the Networking control panel to
configure it.  The Networking control panel improperly formats the
/etc/hosts file causing the /etc/postfix/main.cf file to inherit an
incorrect setting (at least as far as I can tell).

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."