Postfix/Network config out of the box - was: Re: Please participate in the Ubuntu Popularity Contest !

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Jul 18 15:02:17 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 00:27, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> > I still don't think this is what caused your Postfix problem.  That was
> > myhostname in main.cf.
>
> If the machine is localized as I outlined prior to installing postfix,
> then the myhostname entry in /etc/postfix/main.cf is set correctly.
> So while they are different issues (and I should have been clear from
> the outset that I've not viewed them as the same issue) the postfix
> issue is caused by what I feel is a system misconfiguration out of the
> box.

I think this is going to come down to philosphy.  If you are on a dynamic IP,
you are unlikely to get reliable mail delivery no matter what you do.  If you
are on a dynamic IP, then you should use the provided relayhost option for
Postfix installation and relay through your ISPs MTA.  For this use, getting
a FQDN is not necessary.

So, I find that the current setup produces an appropriate result.

Scott K