So, we're up to 180MB in updates.

Paul Puschmann lnx at uzulabs.net
Tue Jul 18 09:26:41 UTC 2006

Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> schrieb am Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 11:51:18AM -0400:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 04:25:50PM +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> > ' Had to change over to a new laptop... Always love installing Ubuntu..
> >
> > Turns out though that, starting from a new CD, we're up to 180MB of
> > updates right after installation.
>
> I understand that a one-bit security fix can cause a recompile of,
> say, Openoffice.  And the result of doing a gigantic download because
> of one bit changing is terribly crude.  Think about it.  If we ran
> cities this way a single mis-installed oneway sign and we would have
> to rebuild NYC.  Or, maybe just rebuild Manhattan.  Or, maybe just
> rebuild one block of Manhattan.  Good thing in a real city we can
> usually just slap up the right sign.

Comparing apples and peaches.
No one forces you to install the updates. You can decide if you want
to do the download yourself or go to a friend who has much bandwidth
and have this downloaded.

> Once in an earlier life, many years ago, I was working on software
> that controlled an electron microscope, and someplace I had a 2 that
> should have been a 3 (I think it was).  That's one-bit.  It took well
> over an hour to make the change.  I went back to my office to made the
> edit.  I had to recompile that file.  I had to relink.  I had to
> convert it to the right download format.  I had copy to a floppy.  I
> had sneakernet the floppy to the microscope.  Computers were slower
> then, that's why it took an hour, but the fundamental architecture is
> still the same, all the same steps are still needed.  Where is the
> innovation?  (Didn't computers used to be about innovation?  Yet so
> tradition-bound...)

And now you have update-packages. Isn't this easy?

> Ubuntu wants to be the OS for everyone, including people who don't
> have buckets of cheap bandwidth.  Maybe this issue should be penciled
> in for some release down the road.  It would be radical...

Sure.

--
: Please answer below the quote, use a realname and
: use plain-text (no HTML).