Ubuntu - File Copy Seems Resource Intensive

Lea Gris lea.gris at noiraude.net
Mon Jul 17 17:25:38 UTC 2006

Gregory Piñero a écrit :
> On 7/17/06, Lea Gris <lea.gris at noiraude.net> wrote:
>> hdparm -v /dev/hda should show you if DMA and 32bit access is enabled.
>> 28MB/s is a poor performance for modern hard drives.
>>
>> /dev/hda:
>>  multcount    = 16 (on)
>>  IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
>>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
>>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>>  readahead    = 256 (on)
>>  geometry     = 65535/16/63, sectors = 117231408, start = 0
>>
>> to enable this perform:
>>
>> hdparm -c1 -m16 -d1 /dev/hda
>>
>> then test again with hdparm -t /dev/hda
>
> Ok, I tried this but performance doesn't seem much better, or is that
> all I should expect?
> chiefinnovator at MAIN1:~$ sudo hdparm -c1 -m16 -d1 /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
> setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
> setting multcount to 16
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> multcount    = 16 (on)
> IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
> using_dma    =  1 (on)
> chiefinnovator at MAIN1:~$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
> Timing cached reads:   308 MB in  2.02 seconds = 152.16 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads:   80 MB in  3.04 seconds =  26.31 MB/sec

32bit and multisector fetch should enhance file and random access
significantly wheras raw disk access top at 26Mb/s. Look like your
motherboard or disk is three or four years old or it is a mid range laptop.

Don't forget to enable tis for your CD/DVD drive as well.

If you need to evaluate file access performance you can play with
Bonnie++. Though if you can feel overall use improvment, getting actual
numbers matter less :)

--
Léa Gris