Ubuntu - File Copy Seems Resource Intensive

Gregory PiƱero gregpinero at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 17:57:23 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, Lea Gris <lea.gris at noiraude.net> wrote:
> 32bit and multisector fetch should enhance file and random access
> significantly wheras raw disk access top at 26Mb/s. Look like your
> motherboard or disk is three or four years old or it is a mid range laptop.

Thanks.  My motherboard is about 5 years old.  The disk is brand new
though.  Perhaps that is the problem.
It's not the transfer times that bother, rather that Gnome seems to
nearly lock up while it is transferring.  Could I perhaps do something
like have disk copies get a higher nice value by default?

-Greg Pinero