Ubuntu vulnerable against "h00lyshit" exploit?

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Sun Jul 16 19:25:08 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:

> As long as all the security fixes are backported, that's fine.
> Wouldn't it be easier though, if Ubuntu used the current kernel, ie.
> 2.6.17.5 or at least 2.6.16.25? This way, no backporting would be
> required.

And you also don't know what else might have to be upgraded. For
instance, I believe the upgrade from 2.6.10 to 2.6.11 required an
updated udev (because sysfs changed, if I remember correctly).

These days, the 2.6 series aren't considered stable (as in, not changing
except for bugfixes).  That means that from one minor version to the
next, all kinds of things might change, something that might mean a
change in other components (there is some notes somewhere that 2.6.17 is
more stable with gcc 4.1, which would have meant that gcc would have to
be upgraded to, and at that point we might as well upgrade everything).

--
John L. Fjellstad