Webcam support under Ubuntu Dapper

Scott Abbey scott at wangfu.org
Sat Jul 15 18:06:18 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 18:02 +0200, Adriano Varoli Piazza wrote:
> 2006/7/15, Scott Abbey <scott at wangfu.org>:
> > If I remember correctly, Skype will only recognize the system's default
> > sound interface. This is a limitation of the Linux version of Skype.
> > That's probably why you can't get the camera's microphone to work with
> > Skype.
>
> Is this with the latest skype? version 1.3.0.30 appeared more or less
> recently and it's supposed to work "well" with ALSA. I'm using it and
> haven't had a problem, but I also haven't a setup like the one
> mentioned.
> It's here:
> http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/13beta.html
> --
> Adriano Varoli Piazza
> The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar
> ICQ: 4410132
> MSN: moranar at gmail.com

I confess I had not tried the beta. I just downloaded it and installed
it to my laptop here at work, and it appears that they have resolved
that issue (everything else seems more polished as well). I can't test
it though, because I only have the one sound interface. I'll try it on
my desktop (with two sound cards) when I get home.

Scott