So, we're up to 180MB in updates.

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sat Jul 15 17:47:36 UTC 2006

· Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org>:

> I understand that a one-bit security fix can cause a recompile of,
> say, Openoffice.  And the result of doing a gigantic download because
> of one bit changing is terribly crude.  Think about it.  If we ran
> cities this way a single mis-installed oneway sign and we would have
> to rebuild NYC.  Or, maybe just rebuild Manhattan.  Or, maybe just
> rebuild one block of Manhattan.  Good thing in a real city we can
> usually just slap up the right sign.

And in the software business, the same thing can be done as well.
Either in source code, where you just download a "patch" which shows
in what line what has to be changed. Or in binaries, in the forms
of xdeltas. The problem is, that xdeltas aren't always *that* effective.

But it can be done. KDE did it for all the KDE 3.5 Beta releases.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to offer something like this for Ubuntu
as well?

But if this would be offered, please *only* offer it as an option.

Alexander Skwar
--
Die Gelassenheit ist eine anmutige Form des Selbstbewußtseins.
                -- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach