Ipod problem: Could it be power?

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 19:35:49 UTC 2006

Russ Goddard wrote:
> On 7/13/06, *Ylan Segal* <ylan.segal at gmail.com
> <mailto:ylan.segal at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     As always, any suggestion on how to proceed are much appreciated.
>
> Hi,
>
> Have you checked for possible IRQ conflicts?

No... I don't know how to do that. Does you (or anyone else?)

Anyway, if it was an IRQ conflict, wouldn't it show in windows too?
Wouldn't it affect all USB devices? I haven't done IRQ debugging since
~1995!

<reminisce>
I Remember changing jumpers to set IRQ in sound cards...
</reminisce>

> Is there a way to
> configure or shut down USB ports from either Dapper or BIOS?

Dapper, I don't know... my BIOS, no. It doesn't really give you much
options except for boot sequence and sony has not released an update
(ever).

> If there
> is a way to shut down the internal USB hubs, try using only the Firewire
> port.  If that works, maybe try using the Firewire adapter you got and
> plug the USB hub in the adapter, then use whatever USB devices you have?

Can a firewire and usb mix like that? I didn't know that! I think I need
another adapter from USB to firewire 4-pin to do that.

> I've heard of a list of laptops somewhere that are compatible with
> Ubuntu and gives you an ability to add your laptop to either the "good"
> list or "bad" list.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/

My model isn't in there exactly, but one laptop from the same series is.
It says USB works, but doesn't give much details. So, it may really not
work (I mean, my usb mouse and pen drive _do_ work, but my ipod and hub
_don't_).

Right now, I posted in the linux-usb-users list and was directed to a
patch that will probably fix the hub. Also, I was directed to enable
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG in the kernel and see if the output can help me
pin point the problem.

--
Ylan