Dapper-Evolution-Palm-Sync__Broken?

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Thu Jul 13 09:01:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:48:42AM -0500, BBBB wrote:
> I have recorded all my settings from Breezy where is still works fine.
> (Dapper was
> a clean install). I have tried KPilot, JPilot also no joy. I eventually
> found a post from
> last month suggesting that the Palm sync is broken. Is this the case?
>   Has anyone gotten a Palm handheld to snyc with Evolution under Dapper?
> Any advice would be appreciated.

I had the same experience when I moved to Dapper. If you are trying to
use a usb-connection to sync the following might help.

I have put this in a script named ~/bin/pda-devices:
#~/bin/sh
sudo mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 0
sudo mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB?

and then configured my jpilot to use /dev/ttyUSB1

The problem is that these devices dissappear usually after a connection
has been terminated.  So now I first run ~/bin/pda-devices and then
jpilot and then sync it.

There must be a better solution out there involving udev I suppose.  But
I don't have enough knowledge about udev to find it.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Let your character be free from the love of money,
      being content with what you have; for He Himself has
      said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever
      forsake you."
                              Hebrews 13:5