Firefox and Mozilla helper applications

BBBB ubuntulist at thingbuilder.com
Thu Jul 13 04:32:33 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Garrett" <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au>

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:43:05 -0500
> "BBBB" <ubuntulist at thingbuilder.com> wrote:
>
> > I am using Dapper i386.
> >
> > I would like to play streaming audio in Firefox.
> > The link goes to a .pls file which I believe is an .mp3 playlist file.
> > When I click on the "Listen" button on the web page, I go to a blank
page.
> > I do not have an application listed in my Download Actions setup for
.pls or
> > .mp3.
> >
> > When I am using Mozilla web browser, Beep Media Player opens up and
plays
> > the
> > stream without a problem.
> >
> > How can I get Firefox to open the stream with either Beep or XMMS?
>
> In Firefox, Edit --> Preferences --> Downloads --> View And Edit Actions
> Look for "MP3 Shoutcast playlist" and set it to beep-media-player or xmms.
> I also have "MP3 Audio (streamed)" set to beep-media-player. You can edit
> others as well, of course, and override the totem plugins if desired.
>
> Some of these media links unfortunately go to obscure little popup windows
> that have cryptic codes to access the content. I haven't worked out a
> solution to this, for those that fail to link... although occasionally
> using "view source" will show the real URL. I expect these windows are
> generally there to force users to watch some promotional/advertising
> content, or restrict access to only windows media players etc.. They drive
> me crazy ;-)
>
> Peter

Thanks,
  When I was in the View Edit Actions earlier I didn't see any MP3 info and
so couldn't edit it. I saw no provision to add a new action to the list.
  In Mozilla, the box was blank.
Is there any config file I can edit? I would like to be able to get a handle
on this
and not need to have both Mozilla and Firefox running.

Thanks for the reply,
Bradley