Ubuntu is not free.

Ouattara Aziz wattazoum at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 17:33:06 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton a écrit :
> Gilles Gravier wrote:
>
>> The problem arises when you decide to put Ubuntu (or any other OS) on a
>> machine that you already have... then you have to live with whatever
>> hardware you already had before... probably hardware that *WAS* running
>> fine on Windows with proprietary drivers.
>>
>> I like ideals... but reality kicks in every now and then... a bit (just
>> a bit) of moderation and realistic behavior will go a long way.
>
> Sorry, but you're not talking reality here.  If I have hardware that doesn't
> support Linux, why would I even try to install Linux on it - after all,
> you're saying that it's already got a working OS on it.  If I want to use
> Linux for philosophical reasons, then I have to live with the limitations.
> If I _need_ to use Linux because it's the only way to do 'X', then it's
> incumbent to use hardware that works with Linux.

I don't need a reason (like philosophical or anything else ) to use
Linux. What you are saying is : if you don't use linux for philosophical
  reason or for a particular reason (to do 'X') , then stay on windows.
I don't think we are still on that kind of thinking. Years ago, you
might have been right, when Linux didn't intend to be newbies system.
But now a lot of distribution are created, working to be as
user-friendly as possible ( that's the case of Ubuntu). They can't keep
thinking that they will be used for philosophy.