Ubuntu is not free.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 12 14:06:10 UTC 2006

Alan McKinnon wrote:

> In all of history, there is only one thing that has ever reliably made
> companies open up their standards and technologies, and that is when
> customers demand they do so or they will take their business elsewhere.

I'd really like to see one of these hardware companies that forces users to
agree to an EULA for the driver software sue a few customers (Canon, Epsom,
SanDisk, I've violated all of yours, try me!)  I bought a piece of
hardware, and I expect you to provide everything necessary to make it
operational, and outright reject your right to tell me how to use it.
Right now, customers click on those agreements without thinking.  If some
companies actually tried to enforce the agreements customers would start to
realize (even if they won the suits) just how bad they are.
--
derek