Setting locale for individual programs

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Jul 12 07:12:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 22:18 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> But I spoke too soon. ~/bin is now in my path, but if I name a script
> the same name as a program, say firefox, then the 'real' program is
> executed. So I put the new path at the _beginning_ of the line,
> thinking that would help, but it didn't:
> export PATH=/home/dotancohen/bin:$PATH
>
> Now, even though I've a file named firefox, the 'real' firefox gets
> launched. How do I command it to look in ~/bin _before_ it looks in
> /usr/bin?

It will work correctly if you launch firefox from a terminal (as long as
you logged out and in, or sourced the bashrc first). If you click on an
icon somewhere, it will probably not work as

1. The icon probably has a hard coded path to the program
2. It's gnome in control in this scenario, not bash - .bashrc is sourced
by bash.

alan