Latest Dapper Kernel Patch - No Kernel Sources

L. Mark Stone lmstone at rnome.com
Wed Jul 12 00:32:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 20:28 +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On di, 2006-07-11 at 10:52 -0400, L. Mark Stone wrote:
> >
> > Running Dapper and have now gone through two kernel updates
> > unsuccessfully.  Why?  Because Ubuntu does not release updated
> > kernel-sources packages concurrently with a new kernel.
>
> Nonsense.

Dennis,

This has happened twice, not once, so "nonsense" is neither constructive
nor illuminating.

The sequence of events both times have been:

1. Ubuntu generates a popup that there are new updates to be installed.

2. I click on the popup icon to install the updates. Reboot as prompted.

3. I then run vmware-config to update the vmware kernel modules, which
fails due to a mismatch between the running kernel and the kernel
headers.

4. I launch Synaptic, do a reload, and then a mark all updates.  No
available updates are shown.  At this point, I still have a mismatched
kernel, headers and sources.

5. Hours later I do the apt-get from a cli as suggested by tseliot. The
updated headers and sources install fine and vmware-config runs
successfully.

Not-fully-sync'ed mirrors?  Quite possibly.  But I am using ubuntu.com
sites in /etc/apt/sources.list.

I haven't had this issue with other distros, and I've been impressed by
the "fit 'n finish" quality of Ubuntu to date, so Dennis I hope you can
now appreciate my comments are not "nonsense" but are intended to be
constructive.

If you have any suggestions how I can avoid this problem in future,
short of manually inspecting the available kernel, kernel sources and
kernel header package versions before installing any of these updated
packages, I would be grateful for your advice.

Mark

A Message From...  L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business"

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com

This email was sent from Reliable Networks of Maine LLC.
It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you suspect that you were not intended to receive it, please
delete it and notify us as soon as possible. Thank you.