Koffice

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 11 13:11:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:47:29 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> wrote:
[snip]
> The problems you are running into are
> more related to Ubuntu's package selection than anything to do with
> compiling from source, so you are unlikely to learn much there either.

While I agree with your other comments, I think learning about tools like
"apt-get build-dep" is worthwhile  - the apt/aptitude tools are
extremely useful for this kind of thing, and form a body of knowledge in
themselves.

I really recommend that people either install the apt-howto package, or
read

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

with particular attention to the bits about source handling:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

I agree that a first compiling attempt should be something *much* less
involved than an office suite :-)

Peter