network-manager can't find ethernet card

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Jul 9 18:45:06 UTC 2006

Sebastian Gil wrote:
> The ethernet works fine without network-manager, it gets the ip
> address from the dhcp and everything works just fine. The problem is
> when I install network manager i comment all interfaces except "lo"
> interface and network-manager doesn't show the wired network option
> and ifconfig just shows the lo interface.
> Wireless works great...
> Using the wireless connection ifconfig shows lo and eth1
> information... without wireless it shows only lo information as
> follows:
>
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
>          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>          RX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>          RX bytes:272 (272.0 b)  TX bytes:272 (272.0 b)
>

> Please help me on how to debug this problem, I don't know what to
> post.. and don't want to open an useless bug

I guess I don't understand how network manager really works.  Just for
grins, I opened up my interfaces file.  It still has the wired interface
as a part of it:

--------  interfaces file -------------
$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

So maybe the problem is that since it is not a wireless interface, nm
doesn't deal with it, and thus it needs to be configured in interfaces.
I'll have to do more research, but try this and see what it does for you.

-Matt