network-manager can't find ethernet card

Sebastian Gil sebastianhgil at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 21:33:34 UTC 2006

2006/7/9, Matthew Kuiken <matt.kuiken at verizon.net>:
> I guess I don't understand how network manager really works.  Just for
> grins, I opened up my interfaces file.  It still has the wired interface
> as a part of it:
>
> --------  interfaces file -------------
> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> --------- end file -------------
>
> So maybe the problem is that since it is not a wireless interface, nm
> doesn't deal with it, and thus it needs to be configured in interfaces.
> I'll have to do more research, but try this and see what it does for you.
>
> -Matt

I have another laptop that have no problems with network-manager, I
have all interfaces commentented except for "lo".

>From ubuntu's wiki: "NetworkManager doesn't manage interfaces with
manual configuration defined in /etc/network/interfaces. To get n-m to
manage all the interfaces properly, backup /etc/network/interfaces and
remove all wired/wireless interfaces that you want to be managed by
n-m"

I really think it's a bug.. any suggestion on what information could
be useful send?

Thanks
Seba