Deinstall package *INCLUDING* all dependencies

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sat Jul 8 18:10:08 UTC 2006

Stephen R Laniel schrieb:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 07:34:56PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> And the "forgot" is the reason why I'm asking now :) I'd like to
>> deinstall mplayer *including* all the depencies which were installed
>> to meet those requirements.
>
> I've never really used aptitude, but I'm told that it keeps
> track of which packages were only installed to satisfy the
> dependencies of other packages; when you uninstall the
> latter, it uninstalls the former.

Yes, that's what I heard as well. But I also heard, that it
doesn't work too well, if apt-get is used. And I do use apt-get
and plan on continuing to do so, as it is pure CLI, while
aptitude is a "TUI" (text user interface) program.

> You could install deborphan, then do
>
> sudo apt-get remove $(deborphan)
>
> Repeat this until deborphan returns no packages.

Nikhil also suggested to have a look at deborphan. I'll have
a look at this program.

> deborphan is conservative, in that it only removes packages
> whose names begin with 'lib', but it gets you most of the
> way to cleanliness.

Thanks. I'll hope, that this is configurable.

Alexander Skwar
--
Im Endeffekt war alles cooler als letztes Jahr, obwohl
ich bis Donnerstag dachte, das es nicht geht.