Deinstall package *INCLUDING* all dependencies

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sat Jul 8 17:40:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 07:34:56PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> And the "forgot" is the reason why I'm asking now :) I'd like to
> deinstall mplayer *including* all the depencies which were installed
> to meet those requirements.

I've never really used aptitude, but I'm told that it keeps
track of which packages were only installed to satisfy the
dependencies of other packages; when you uninstall the
latter, it uninstalls the former. Such, at least, is what
I've heard.

You could install deborphan, then do

sudo apt-get remove $(deborphan)

Repeat this until deborphan returns no packages.

deborphan is conservative, in that it only removes packages
whose names begin with 'lib', but it gets you most of the
way to cleanliness. And I guess aptitude will help from now
on.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org