Ubuntu is not free.

meets at free.fr meets at free.fr
Sat Jul 8 15:28:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:38:56 +0100
Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-08-07 at 15:55 +0200, meets at free.fr wrote:
> > Hello Oli,
> > It seems to rely on GPL, because of the frequent words 'Gnu/Linux'
> > on the Ubuntu website pages.
> Are you complaining that Ubuntu says GNU/Linux? Would you prefer that
> we just call it Linux? Do you believe that saying GNU/Linux means that
> everything in the Ubuntu CD is GPL?

> > Either Ubuntu is free, so it is really made 100% with free
> > componants,... or It invents and publish a new license,
> That doesn't make any sense.

> > Actually, Ubuntu pretends to be what it isn't.
> Why? From the front page, which you qoute:

> "Ubuntu Philosophy: ... that people should have the freedom to
> customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit."

> This is not a promise that absolutely everything on the CD will be
> GPL.
Isn't that playing on words ?

> It does imply that Ubuntu makes every effort to use free
> software, that it doesn't develop software that don't let people
> alter, etc. I think that Ubuntu delivers on that implied promise. If
> Ubuntu is entirely free software except for some kernel modules, I
> think Ubuntu has done an admirable job. Why don't you go complain to
> another distribution that hasn't gone as far as Ubuntu? I'm under the
> impression that in this regard Ubuntu is better than almost every
> other distribution. Go talk to SUSE, Linspire and Xandros, how about
> that?
> Cheers,
> Daniel.
Hello,
I think it's nonsense to go through so many tiny details to avoid the
principal problem, which is the respect of the free licenses and the
spirit of the free software. Why do people think that two portions of
non free program are good for them ? Why then not to put all the #*@*
drivers and firmwares that exist in the kernel package too, so that all
without exception get all work at start ? The thing is not in the
details... the kernel is not a detail, and yes, all distributions
package non free software. They are available, but they are not
installed by default. My only aim is to have theses pointed out and be
reported so that the developpers think of it. I don't need anything
else. If Ubuntu is not a real free distribution, I will not advise it or
interest myself to it anymore, but I would prefer to think I can do it
without any backthought. All/many would like to have some great distro
to show and give to their friends, so did I all theses preceeding
months with Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu... OpenOffice.org,
Abiword, Firefox, music apps, and so on...
Best greetings, Joyce Markoll.