Ubuntu is not free.

cjk at teamcharliesangels.com cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sat Jul 8 15:47:06 UTC 2006

Quoting meets at free.fr:

>     < snip >
> I think it's nonsense to go through so many tiny details to avoid the
> principal problem, which is the respect of the free licenses and the
> spirit of the free software. Why do people think that two portions of
> non free program are good for them ?
>     < snip >

If there are so many aspects of the free software licenses that bother
you, why would you ever have anyone use that software? would it not be
better to simply have them pay for licensed software that makes you
feel good?

I have read the same licenses as you, and have not had any problem
telling people that this free software may have programs included that
you will need to pay money for. Of course, these same people have been
paying money for many years to another software giant for many years
already. They see no problem using programs that are costing them many
dollars less now. I have explained to those same individuals that free
as defined in the GPL does not always mean you will not have to spend
any money, and they are just as happy to pay for part of the software
as they are to be able to use the non-paid parts.

                     Charlie
                     Don't let anyone steal your dream!