Newbie

Karl J=?ISO-8859-1?B?5A==?=rnhammer jernhammer at ystad.nu
Sat Jul 8 11:59:57 UTC 2006

On 2006-07-08 12.27 Adriano Varoli Piazza wrote:

> I was going to try to answer something helpful, but then I reread the
> message and failed to see someone wanting any help. Something in the
> way all the message was written, or something sparked my "I am not
> paid for this" flag. I dunno. The use of the word "crap" perhaps, or
> the way you expected everything to be exactly the same way it was
> before...

Please accept my apologies - you are quite right, I was being churlish and
rude. My only excuse is that I had had such high hopes so I was very
disappointed and frustrated when to all intent and purpose almost nothing
worked. I should not have allowed that to be reflected here, again please
accept my apologies.

> Oh well, now I've vented I might as well make it worthy. It's possible
> that you're not setting the authentication method correctly in
> Evolution, even when the password you type is correct. Try reading
> carefully the setup instructions to your mail service.

Well, I did, I promise, many times, and I could find no way to change
anything in the Evolution set up which made any difference and Firefox could
not access  Internet either. This is on the installed Ubuntu, not the live
CD. Going through the Setup Assistant the only thing that stands out is that
when identifying the server I am given the option POP and my sever is a
POP3. The server config is the same as ever and works elsewhere and as far
as I can see there are no surprises. Anyway when everything is filled in as
prompted leaving the security option as 'never' Evolution returns the
message Error while fetching mail: Host lookup failed (followed by the
address of my server) and the line  'Temporary failure in name resolution'.
In Firefox I get ........  ........ Could not be found. Please check the
name ant try again.

Using the Live CD which is indeed slow, but which also is to be expected,
Firefox works just fine. Or rather it did last night without me doing
anything though I had the same result with Evolution as I had on the
installed Ubuntu. Today Firefox is not working on the Live CD either! Well,
I am rested now and I have my coffee and I realize that I have done and that
I continue to do something wrong and it is not Ubuntu's fault.

Anyway - I am stuck and I am in the middle of a project that I need to gat
back to in a couple of days. I would hate to have to go back to windows but
I may have to if I can't get up to speed on this fast.

> The login and password crap, as you call them, are standard operating
> procedure in any self-respecting modern OS. Welcome to the 21st
> century, where computers are hooked to the internet and basic security
> measures are necessary. If you've got only one user account, it's
> possible to setup an automatic login, too.

OK - I will need to look into that later.

> As for the slowness, if it's the livecd it's to be expected. If you
> noticed it when you installed it, you didn't give enough information.
> Do notice that the boot up process takes (at least for me) something
> between 40 and 1:20 seconds, depending on what services are loaded and
> what do I consider to be "end of the process".

I must admit it was not I who did the installation - is there a means for me
to go back and check that correct and sufficient information has been
entered. As to slow I was nor referring to boot up, rather how long it takes
to launch different programs, it does seem slower than I am used to .

Many thanks for your patience and tolerance.
Best wishes
KJ