Dapper won't act as a router

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sat Jul 8 06:03:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 00:13 +0200, Wander Boessenkool wrote:
> On 7/8/06, Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas before I resort to setting up NAT on the notebook
> > (which I would rather not do - my networking needs are complex enough as
> > it is)
>
> Make sure ip-forwarding IS enabled:

already done

> sudo -i
> cat 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> And then make sure the other computers know how to find your desktop,
> by adding the appropriate routes to your desktop:
>
> route add 192.168.0.7 gw 10.0.0.14

That's the wrong address, but I get what you mean - the notebook has a
route back to the desktop.

> To make all this permanent you'll have to add the routes to
> /etc/network/interfaces, and put the forwarding in an appropriate
> rc-script.
>
> And you'll need to make sure your dekstop has your notebook as default gateway.

I just realised that the ADSL router is probably the problem here - it
is most unlikely to have a route back to 192.168.0.0 on it's LAN
interface. Looks like I have to use NAT after all

alan