turning off IPv6

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 22:29:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 15:34 -0400, John DeCarlo wrote:
> On 7/5/06, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 12:53 -0400, John DeCarlo wrote:
>
>         > Ideally, IPv4 should be disabled out of the box.  It
>         shouldn't be
>         > needed anywhere, and it causes lots of problems today.
>
>         I presume you mean IPv6! If so, what problems? I have three
>         Dapper boxes
>         and I've not experienced any problems with IPv6.
>
> Why would anyone presume this?

You really meant IPv4?

> Alexander understood my point.  There is no good reason today why
> people are still using IPv4.

We run a large academic network where I work. It's bot IPv4 and IPv6
aware. Our network manager would have a heart attack if I suggested he
turned of v4. My workplace would come to a standstill if he actually
did!

> Advocating the use of IPv4 is like advocating use of a CLI only.

I still advocate use of CLI! Some things are just easier and quicker if
you know what you are doing that pointing and clicking. But then I;m of
the old school and I cut my teeth on OpenVMS and early versions of Unix.

> It should be made clear that IPv4 is deprecated.
>
> And I don't know why people seem to think more people use IPv4 than
> IPv6 - I haven't seen any actual data to support that.  I believe it
> to be true in North America.

My experience points to there being more v4 than v6 around, at least in
my own environment.

> In fact, the argument is the same if you said "why support routable
> IPv4 addresses?  no one uses them any more, they all use NAT routers
> and private addresses"

That's not true. My ISP gives me a routed address for my connection. For
large networks, NAT can be a heavy load on the main router.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold