dapper sudo

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 20:57:44 UTC 2006

On 7/4/06, ubuntu at rio.vg <ubuntu at rio.vg> wrote:

> Because Ubuntu insists on "use sudo for everything", "never log in as
> root", "root doesn't even have a password to let you log in as root".
> Most other distro's don't have this policy.  Someone coming from another
> distro or another flavor of Unix is used to using the standard su.
> After becoming root, the above command would work, minus the superfluous
> sudo.

Ubuntu has no policy against using root, in fact, that's what you're
doing when you run sudo.  It's what you're doing when you get a shell
with sudo -s or sudo -i.  And you're completely free to set a root
password (or set no password at all) and use the root shell as much as
you like.

Why does locking the account out of the box make you so angry?

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."