Why is OpenOffice slow?

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV rick at rickandpatty.com
Sun Jul 2 22:22:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 18:07 +0530, Arjun Shankar wrote:
> Okey, I didn't really bother about this till I saw OpenOffice running
> on Windows machines at the place where I train. OpenOffice works
> REALLY slow on my notebook (running only Ubuntu, so I can't really
> compare, how it is on other operating systems myself), but it's
> reasonably fast on those windows machines, which arent really all that
> 'better' than my litle piece of computing power.

The only annoyingly-slow thing I have noticed running OpenOffice (and
it's a bug introduced betweem Openoffice v1 and the v2 series) is very
slow printing with spreadsheets that contain many worksheets with
formulas that reference each other.  (It'll hang up for several seconds
when printing such a sheet on a 1.6 GHz notebook.)  It seems pretty
snappy otherwise.

> So why is it that something thats open source is faster on a non-free
> platform, than one thats free?

Have you verified that there's not some problem with your laptop?  (How
fast is the hard drive, and is DMA enabled?  How much RAM do you have?
Is everything seemingly slow, or just Openoffice?)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick at rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com