Permissions, Permissions, Permissions

Bobby Sanders ssanders at ssvzc.com
Sun Jul 2 18:55:40 UTC 2006

Running Breezy. gnome2, metacity

For user joe, set Joe's umask to 0007 in ~/joe/.bashrc
Make group, "grp"
cd /home/joe
mkdir testdir
chown joe:grp testdir
chmod 2770 tesdir
ls -l yields drwxrws--- joe grp testdir - Great!  Just what I want.

cd testdir

Use any program started from a terminal, like vi, nano, emacs, touch,
even OOo (stared with $ ooffice2 &) to create testfile.

ls -l yields -rw-rw---- joe grp testfile
Great!  Just what I want.

Now use an editor started from the menu system, say OOo2, create
testfile2.odt and save to testdir.

ls -l yields -rw-r--r-- joe grp testfile2.odt
Bad!  Just what I _don't_ want.

Using terminal command line mkdir testdir2.

ls -l yields drwxrws--- joe  grp  testdir2
Great! Just what I want.

Now use OOo2 to create another directory, say testdir3, under testdir

ls -l yields drwxr-sr-x joe, grp testdir3
Bad!  Just what I _don't_ want.

How can I make the programs started from the menu behave the say way as
they do when started from the command line?

Sure hope there is simple answer and it is just some dumb mistake that I
am making.

(I have been advised by a user on the OOo list (thought this was an OOo
problem when I first ran into it) that I need to get the umask set in
the shell that is used to start the windowing system.  Seems to make
since but neither he nor I know how to do this.))

Thanks in advance.

Bobby