RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Jul 2 12:27:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 19:55 +0800, Wisely Koh wrote:
> sorry to interrupt, but has any consensus been reached?

Depends on what you mean with consensus. It seems that Gary is not
convinced. I am (and always was) sure that it's ok and well documented

>  i mean the
> topic if ubuntu really contains non free software in their official
> disk..

It does (it's called the restricted repository). This was never unclear
as far as I am concerned, because it's clearly spelled out:
http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/components

> i have been worrying about this since installing ubuntu 6.06 as i saw
> during the installation, at the ok prompt, there was this - "Preparing
> restricted drivers"

BUT, while the stuff in restricted is not free software, it permits
redistribution, see the copyright files
in /usr/doc/share/linux-restricted-modules*