RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 08:15:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-07 at 09:42 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 08:33 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> > Oh, don't get me wrong.  I think that GNU is very important.  This
> > doesn't change my impression that RMS is being a childish git when he
> > insists of having everybody call it GNU+Linux without bothering to
> > acknowledge any of the other vital contributions to a usable system.
> > If he wants to be consistent, he needs to acknowledge X at the very
> > least, or he can just rest satisfied in the knowledge that his
> > brainchild, GNU, is responsible for the most popular free operating
> > system in the world without whinging about not getting the credit for
> > it.

> The funny part of it all is that he and his project *does* get the
> credit, it's just not in the name. Most folk running a Linux OS know
> Linus and RMS and their respective roles.

I know.  (I said as much later. ;) )  The tragic irony of the situation
is that RMS is quite justly viewed as the father of free software.
Without him we'd not have anything like it for years more to come.  Yet
now he seems to be more a divisive force slowing down the free software
scene instead of building it further up.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"Then, of course, there is the feeling that something sexual must be
something very happy, a marvelous experience. When this develops, I
always see the negative side." --The Dalai Lama